Monday, August 25, 2008

Ventura & Oxnard

After the beautiful desert sunrise and a homey breakfast at Wagon Wheel in Needles, we drove to my grandparents' house in Ventura, California. These are my favorite white grandparents:
After dinner, Grandpa showed me his geneological research. I got to see the fat South African diamond ring my great-great-great-grandfather, Henry Morris, lost and then recovered in a horse's hoof.

In the morning, Grandma made me French toast cut into little houses. (They taste better that way.)
After breakfast, Grandma took Thomas and I on a Tour of My Mom's Life.
Ventura! That tall hotel underneath the branches of the tree is where the family raced to in "Little Miss Sunshine."
This is the house where my mom moved when she was in 5th grade. Sometimes mountain lions roam the neighborhood. Grandpa is a skilled raccoon trapper and ground hog poisoner.
This was my mom's elementary school, Mound.
Balboa was where my mom attended middle school.
This is Buena High, home to my mom and Kevin Costner.
This is where my parents met.
This is the first apartment my parents shared. They lived here in sin.
This is the Church of the Foothills: where my parents got married, where I was baptized, and where my grandma sings in the choir.
Then
Now
My parents bought this condo after they were married.
After the Tour, Thomas and I went to C Street so Thomas could surf...
and I could lounge.
Tanned and refreshed, we went to see my Grandma Helen and Aunt Jenny in Oxnard. The last time I saw Grandma Helen was at my high school graduation seven years ago, so I was incredibly excited to see them. They showed us a ton of family pictures and told us stories about them all. I hadn't experienced feeling old until they told me that my cousin's son, who I remember as an adorable, fat-cheeked five-year-old, is graduating from high school.
Later that night, Grandma and Grandpa took us out to eat at a brewery in downtown Ventura.
Following a nice soak in the hot tub and a little Olympics, we waved good-bye and ate the last of the Sees candies my Grandma had bought, heading towards Monterey.

No comments: