Wednesday, August 27, 2008

San Francisco

San Francisco was one of my very favorite stops on the trip! We left San Carlos and headed north, where Thomas escaped from Alcatraz:
My highest priority in San Francisco was to eat my way through Fisherman's Wharf. It was absolutely essential that I eat a crab and a loaf of sourdough. We met up with Avi and Mirav, who just moved to San Francisco--a few days earlier--from New York.
The crab I got was 1 1/2 lbs.
And it was delicious.
I also bought 1/2 lb. of saltwater taffy.
Next we found Lombard Street.
After my crab, sourdough, and saltwater taffy digested, we hunted down the Full House house.

Mirav, Thomas, and Avi
everyone else taking pictures of the Full House house
That night we all met up with Thomas' cousin, Julene, who he hadn't seen in fifteen years. She and her husband got married in the same courthouse where Marilyn Monroe wed Joe DiMaggio; they are building a house in the Irish countryside. We ate delicious crepes in the Mission, where I could probably happily live forever, and then Thomas and I spent the night at Julene's, right by the ocean.
The next day, we went to Berkeley to have breakfast with Thomas' friend, Jana, and her husband, Dan. We ate across the street from Pixar, where, I'm told, employees get around the complex via bumper cars. After a tour of Berkeley, Thomas and I went to Chinatown and played with things Made in China. I came this close to buying a ceramic statue of Mao for $89.99. We also people-watched at a park populated entirely by old Chinese men playing card games.

Transamerica Pyramid
My new boyfriend
After Chinatown, we wanted to walk the Golden Gate Bridge.




200 feet down
Yay America!
The bridge reminded me of "The Bridge," so to avoid jumping we continued our tour. Avi and Mirav took us to eat burritos, then to a bar served Shiner on tap (which, sadly, was skunky). We watched "Pineapple Express" in a super-fancy old building.
The family business

After spending the night at Avi and Mirav's, Thomas and I had breakfast at the Buena Vista cafe, where my parents went to drink Irish coffees on their honeymoon. The cafe is famous for their Irish coffees, which are pretty delicious.

We caught a trolley uphill, back to the car, and waved good-bye to one of the coolest cities I've been to.

No comments: