Monday, August 25, 2008

San Carlos

My Uncle Rick and Aunt Cindi live outside of San Francisco, in San Carlos. This is him as he appeared in Life Magazine in the 50's, with my Swedish great-great-great-grandmother. His hair is longer now.
When Thomas and Rick went back to Steamer Lane to surf, Cindi took me to Hayward, where I lived until I was six and moved to Texas.
Old house
Elementary school
The neighborhood is largely made up of working-class Mexican families. I first recognized the neighbor's house, which had belonged to an old woman with dentures and an extensive doll collection. When I remembered her house, I knew mine was right next door.
At this point in the journey, the cooler Merlene had so lovingly filled with sandwiches and bananas contained only a precarious liquid. Regretfully, it was abandoned in San Carlos. But I did take away a new respect for succulents, a belly-full of solid (Thai) food, and some more quality family time.

No comments: