Monday, August 25, 2008

Meteor Crater

A while back, maybe for my birthday, Thomas bought me a copy of Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Admittedly, I have a very big crush on Carl Sagan. As he is dead, the closest I can get to my favorite astrophysicist is Meteor Crater, Arizona.
Meteor Crater was formed 50,000 years ago when, as you might think, a meteor slammed into the Arizona desert and created a crater--sixty stories deep, three miles in circumference, and almost a mile in diameter. Aside from my grandparents, Meteor Crater was the most anticipated stop for me on the whole vacation. It did not disappoint.
The barren drive out to the crater
The rim coming into view

Human meteor!
Hands-on museum fun
Exploring the center of the crater
Subway?
Subway!
Sunset
Last ones to leave
My only sadness is that Thomas and I didn't get to play Frisbee in the crater.

No comments: